Truck Driver Fatigue
Truck driver fatigue is a serious issue among commercial drivers, many of whom are fully aware of the dangers of driving while fatigued and yet do it anyway at the cost of others’ safety. Although the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has tried to curb this reckless practice by instituting federal hours-of-service regulations, all too often, drivers and trucking companies ignore and violate these regulations – sometimes going so far as to forge driving logs.
When truck driver fatigue causes accidents, the Montgomery and Birmingham truck accident lawyer at Joe Reed & Associates, LLC, will fight for victims’ rights.
When this form of truck driver negligence causes accidents, attorney Joe Reed will be ready to fight for victims’ rights and hold the negligent truckers responsible in any legal setting.
Truck Driver Fatigue Facts And Statistics
The following truck driver fatigue facts and statistics spotlight how often this form of negligence occurs. The following information has been published by the FMCSA, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and other esteemed organizations:
- Truck driver fatigue is the seventh leading cause of truck accidents in the U.S. and has been linked to causing more than 13% of all trucking accidents that occur each year.
- Truck driver fatigue is far more likely to be an issue on longer hauls (i.e., hauls that are longer than 51 miles from their starting point).
- About 25% of truck drivers have admittedly fallen asleep while driving at least once within the past month.
- The effects of sleep deprivation can be as debilitating as the effects of alcohol intoxication. In fact, researchers have found that, after staying awake for 24 consecutive hours, the impairments that drivers experience are similar to those exhibited by people with blood alcohol contents (BACs) of .10. While .10 is well above the legal limit for drivers of passenger vehicles, it is more than double the legal limit for commercial truckers (for whom the legal limit is .04).
The bottom line is that:
- Accidents caused by truck driver fatigue are preventable.
- When these accidents occur, victims will likely be entitled to compensation for their medical bills, car repair bills and other losses.
Our Montgomery And Birmingham Truck Accident Attorney
After a truck accident, don’t hesitate to contact attorney Reed. He has been an aggressive advocate for injured people for more than 25 years, and he is firmly committed to obtaining justice in every case he oversees.
When you count on our lawyer to represent you, you can rest assured that he will build you a strong case, stand up for your rights at every step of the legal process and work tirelessly to resolve your case as favorably as possible. You can also rely on the fact that Mr. Reed will provide you with honest answers about your best options, always return your calls and answer your questions, and keep you informed about the progress of your case at every stage of the legal process.
You are encouraged to attend an initial consultation to discuss your case and learn more about your rights. Call us at 334-834-2000 or email us using our contact form to set up a meeting today. Initial consultations are free in most cases, and evening and weekend appointments are available for your convenience.