With the holiday and winter season upon us, many people are making travel plans. When these plans involve driving, taking the time to review some holiday travel safety tips can be critical to helping you and your family:
- Reduce the changes that you’ll be in an accident
- Stay as safe as possible on the roads.
In this blog series, we will outline some holiday travel safety tips, most of which come directly from safety officials at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). While these tips can be helpful, don’t hesitate to contact the Birmingham and Montgomery car accident lawyers at Joe M. Reed & Associates, LLC if you are hurt in a car accident. Our attorneys will fight for your rights and will work tirelessly to help you obtain the compensation you likely deserve.
Holiday Travel Safety Tips: What to Do Before Getting on the Road
- If you will be driving longer distances this holiday season, here are some holiday travel safety tips that can keep you and your family safe.Check your tires – Having good tires is critical for longer road trips. While this means that you should check your tires to make sure they have sufficient tread, it also means that you should check the air pressure (and add or let out air as necessary so that the tires have optimal pressure, as dictated in your vehicle owner’s manual).
If your tires are older than four or so years and you do a lot of driving, then it may be time to consider getting new tires before you hit the roads for your holiday travels. Having quality tires (set at their optimal pressure) can minimize the chances of blowouts on winter road trips.
- Get a tune up – Whether or not your vehicle is up for a routine service, take it in to get a tune up before your trip. This should involve a technician checking and repairing (as necessary) the major components of your vehicle, as well as replenishing your vehicle’s fluids (oil and windshield wiper fluid).By spending a little bit of time and money getting your vehicle checked out and put in good working order, you can reduce the chances of breakdowns, which could leave you and your family on the side of the road (and which may make you a target for a motor vehicle accident).
- Plan your trip – While this may seem obvious, don’t take it for granted. Be sure to plan the details of your trip and route. As part of this planning process, it’s also important to check the road conditions and weather immediately before your trip so that you have the opportunity to change your route (or travel plans) if the conditions are unfavorable, risky or dangerous.
For some more holiday travel safety tips, be sure to look for the second and third installments of this blog series that will be published soon!
Montgomery and Birmingham Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys at Joe Reed & Associates, LLC
If you’ve been hurt in any type of motor vehicle accident, it’s time to contact the Montgomery and Birmingham motor vehicle accident lawyers at Joe Reed & Associates, LLC. For more than 16 years, we have been dedicated to the pursuit of justice in every case we oversee, and our experience, dedication and extensive knowledge of the law makes us effective at helping our clients successfully resolve their cases.
You are invited to attend an initial consultation to discuss your case and learn more about your rights. To set up this meeting today, call us at 334-834-2000, or email us using the contact form at the top of this page. Initial consultations are free in most cases, and evening and weekend appointments are available for your convenience.