DUI enforcement is top priority for every state in the U.S. This isn’t just because states’ transportation funding can hinge on these enforcement efforts – it’s also because DUI arrests and convictions can generate a lot of additional funds for states, as convicted people have to pay various fines that are used to help fund law enforcement agencies (and other public agencies).
That being stated, however, there are some states where enforcement efforts have led to far more DUI arrests, according to the results of a recently published study conducted by Project Know.
This study focused on analyzing DUI arrests for 2013 (the most recent year for which complete data is currently available), based on data from the U.S. Department of Justice. And, its findings may shock you…
Top 10 States for DUI Arrests
Here’s a look at the states where the most DUI arrests occur. If you’ve been arrested for a DUI in AL, contact our Birmingham & Montgomery DUI lawyer for the best defense.
According to Project Know, the top 10 states where the most DUI arrests occurred in 2013 were as follows (with the following numbers representing the number of DUI arrests made per every 10,000 individuals in that state):
- North Dakota, with just over 87 DUI arrests
- South Dakota, with just over 63 DUI arrests
- Colorado, with 63 DUI arrests
- Arizona, with just over 61 DUI arrests
- Kentucky, with nearly 60 DUI arrests
- California, with just over 58 DUI arrests
- North Carolina, with early 53 DUI arrests
- Wisconsin, with nearly 51 DUI arrests
- Washington, with nearly 50 DUI arrests
- Maine, with just over 49 DUI arrests.
10 States with the Least DUI Arrests
On the opposite end of this spectrum, the states that had the least DUI arrests (per every 10,000 drivers) in 2013 included:
- Alabama, with 0.5 DUI arrest
- Delaware, which just over 3 DUI arrests
- Illinois, with nearly 4 DUI arrests
- Hawaii, with just over 8 DUI arrests
- Louisiana, with nearly 16 DUI arrests
- Massachusetts, with nearly 17 DUI arrests
- Oregon, with 19 DUI arrests
- Indiana, with nearly 21 DUI arrests
- Florida, with nearly 27 DUI arrests
- Iowa, with 28 DUI arrests.
Do these findings surprise you? Share your thoughts and opinions about Project Know’s study on our Facebook & Google+ pages.
Birmingham & Montgomery DUI Lawyer atJoe Reed & Associates, LLC
Have you been charged with a DUI? If so, it’s time to contact an experienced Birmingham & Montgomery DUI lawyer at Joe M. Reed & Associates LLC.
By trusting us to represent you, you can rest assured that our skilled Birmingham & Montgomery DUI lawyer will:
- Provide you with honest answers about your best DUI defense options
- Build you a strong case
- Stand up for your rights at every stage of the legal process
- Work relentlessly to resolve your case as favorably as possible.
To set up a meeting with one of our lawyers today and find out more about how we can help you, call us at 334-834-2000, or email us using the contact form at the top of this page. Initial consultations are free in most cases, and evening and weekend appointments are available for your convenience.